We’re back with another Zarda Bar-B-Q team member in our “Get to Know” series! Harry has been the go-to Pitmaster at Zarda for over 6 years at the Blue Springs location! He has been crucial to overseeing special events involving Zarda such as the American Royal World Series of BBQ, feeding the Kansas City Chiefs at training camp, and preparing those incredible ribs for Zarda customers day in and day out! Learn a little more about Harry, what he loves about working at Zarda, and his culinary passions!
1. How long have you been at Zarda? What is your title?
I have been at Zarda for six years and I am the Pitmaster.
2. What’s a day in the life like for you at Zarda?
It’s fun, I mean, I’ve never had a job before I love this much because I can literally come to work and barbecue, which I like doing on my off time anyway, although since I started cooking at the restaurant I don’t cook at home anymore. I love it, I love my job.
3. What aspect of your job at Zarda do you enjoy the most?
4. What is your personal favorite item on the Zarda menu, and what makes it so good?
That’s a tough one. I have to say the LTD Reserve Burnt Ends because of the seasoning. I’ve always been a fan of burnt ends, but these are great.
5. Tell us a little bit about your family and what you like to do outside of work?
I’m originally from the Ozarks, I was born and raised in South Missouri. I moved here in 1980, and I actually worked construction most of my life and just barbecued on the side. So Zarda was my first actual cooking job that I got paid for.
6. What is your favorite memory of working at Zarda?
The first American Royal together. That’s probably my best memory.
7. What accomplishment are you most proud of during your time at Zarda?
The food, knowing that everybody loves everything I cook.
8. If you could create one menu item for Zarda what would it be? Describe it to us!
Our chicken is basted in our sauce. I’ve always wanted to do a dry rub chicken, but not in the oven, on the pit. I would like to try it.
9. What separates Zarda Bar-B-Q from other KC BBQ places?
That’s a tough one for me to answer because I’m biased. And I’ve really only had Zarda and Gates. I guess I had Q39 before the pandemic started. I mean, they’re good, all bbq is good. It’s just the different way they’re cooked, the different way the cooks are cooking their food makes them all a little different.
We appreciate Harry and everything he does for the Zarda! Stay tuned as we feature more Zarda team members in the future!