We’re back with another Zarda Bar-B-Q team member in our “Get to Know” series! Jose is the friendly cook responsible for all the delicious Bar-B-Q that comes out of the pit in Lenexa. Learn more about Jose, his favorite Zarda memories, and his dream Zarda menu item!
1. What is your role at Zarda, and how long have you been in the business?
I have been here almost 4 years, I’m the cook.
2. What’s a day in the life like for you at Zarda?
I prep and load the pits everyday. While I’m waiting on the the ribs to cook during the day I do handy work around the restaurant – anything that needs fixing, and maintaining equipment.
3. What part of your job at Zarda do you enjoy the most?
I like my job, I like everything about my job!
4. What is your personal favorite thing on the Zarda menu, and what makes it so good?
Everything is pretty good! Especially the ribs and the new Ltd. sandwiches, those are good!
5. Tell us a little bit about your family and what you like to do outside of work?
My family is good, my wife and I have been married 37 years and we have one child. In my free time I like to read the Bible.
6. What is the one thing on the menu that every visitor to Zarda needs to try?
I would try a little bit of everything – because there’s nothing that’s not good on the menu!
7. What are your favorite memories of working at Zarda?
I really enjoy the end of the year party for the staff. Everybody comes – and we all have a pretty good time.
8. What accomplishment are you most proud of during your time at Zarda?
It was nice being the cook when we won Kansas City’s Best Burnt Ends contest!
9. What separates Zarda BBQ from other KC BBQ places?
We really try hard to make food that is much better than the other places.
10. If you could create one menu item for Zarda what would it be – describe it to us!
Everything at Zarda is good, but I think maybe a kids hamburger would be successful.